Domestic Violence

Domestic abuse can take many forms – physical, emotional, sexual, psychological or financial. If you are in a relationship that isn’t working, either because you feel threatened or are with a violent or abusive partner, it can be difficult to know what to do.

The first step is to report the abuse, to the police who will investigate the abuse and be able to protect you from further instances. You should also seek medical assistance for any injuries that you suffer, which you can use as evidence during the case.  

The Family Law Act 1996 is vital to helping protect victims of domestic violence and their children. There are 2 main types of order that can be made:

  • Non-molestation Orders
    This prevents someone from being violent or threatening violence against you or your child. It also includes intimidation, harassment, or pestering. Breaching this order is now a criminal offence.
  • Occupation Orders
    This order relates to who can live in the family home and can also restrict access to the surrounding area as well. If the abuser breaks this order then they will only be arrested if a power of arrest document was lodged with the occupation order. 

Depending on the case, injunctions can be issued quickly on an emergency basis by the Court. Failure to comply with an injunction may be punishable by imprisonment or other sanction, depending upon the severity of the non-compliance.

To contact our family law solicitors, please phone our office on 0207 281 1001. You can also email us at