Separation Agreement

In the event of the breakdown of a marriage, a legal separation is often preferable for some people. A legal separation allows you to live apart, without divorcing or ending a civil partnership.

You can ask for a legal separation for the same reasons you could file for a divorce, for example adultery or unreasonable behaviour.

To get a legal separation, you need to fill in a separation petition and send it to the court.

However, you do not need to show that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.

You may want a legal separation if:

  • you have religious reasons against divorce
  • you’ve been married less than a year
  • you want time and space to work out if you want to end the marriage

If you decide to divorce at a later date, the separation process can “speed up” the divorce.

To contact our family law solicitors, please phone our office on 0207 281 1001. You can also email us at